Saturday 28 April 2012

Honesty

My friend said something yesterday that is rattling around in my brain and won't leave me alone. I finally figured out why.

She said, "I'm exercising to be healthier, the weight loss is just an added bonus."

I couldn't figure out why this would stick so prominently in my brain, until now.

I can't honestly say this.

I lost 25 pounds last year and got myself down to a size.....well lets just say a much smaller size! I exercised my butt off (literally) and worked hard. I'm sure I am much healthier today than I was before I started. So.....what's the problem?

My quote would read:

"I'm exercising to lose weight and look amazing in jeans, the health benefits are really of no consequence."

Am I too young to care about health and therefore allowed to have this shallow viewpoint?

Not really. I'm almost 30, have 3 kids, one crazy loving husband, and plenty to live for. So.....great! Now I just feel guilty for wanting to confidently wear a swimsuit......!

Here's my opinion. Does it matter? I am motivated by the compliments and looks I have received, both good and bad. Is this wrong? NOPE. I am extrinsically motivated. (There's that big word again!) It's ok. I know that I need some reason outside of myself in order to accomplish something. I found it in the beautiful joy of buying a new wardrobe and not hating it. I'm ok with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment